Friday, January 10, 2014

We are companions on the journey

Good Morning Friends!
Tomorrow is the start of a new semester at Mid Michigan Community College. Call me crazy, but I have enrolled in two courses this semester, primarily “just for fun.” One of my New Year’s resolutions was to ‘learn something new each day’ and taking classes is certainly a way to learn new things. I’m taking a course in Proofreading (certainly needed considering all the typos I make in my posts) and another in Business Communications. Each of these courses should help me improve my writing skills and learn more about the technology out there used in modern-day communication (what is twitter, Instagram, and tumbler anyway? J) Also, it might give me the confidence I need to begin that book!
 
One other, and very important, reason for taking classes is that it connects me with the students that I serve. It keeps me ‘in the loop” and allows me to experience the stress and struggles that sometimes comes along with balancing family, work, personal, and school responsibilities. At least for a semester, I become “one of them” and can commiserate and celebrate with them. Students tend to put more faith in someone who “knows what it is like” and is walking the same road. There’s comfort in being with someone who is sharing the same journey. It ought to be fun!
 
In my own personal journey in life, I gather my strength from my relationship with my God. After, all, He became “one of us” so that he could share in our life, struggles, joys, and temptations. Although I get support and encouragement from those around me, I don’t have many people in my immediate circle of family and friends who are daily fighting a fight against weight, and who really  know what it’s like to be the only person in the room not eating a piece of birthday cake. But God….in the person of Jesus….knows. He was tempted in the dessert when he fasted for 40 days. There aren’t many people in my life who know what it’s like to be criticized or insulted by the occasional insults and rude comments in the media, but God knows. There are not many people in my life that know how much I wish that all those who suffer, all who are sad, all who are hopeless would be set free, but God does; He gave his life for us. He experienced pain, frustration, hurt…..joy and ultimately victory at the Resurrection. I would not have reached this point in my journey without Him and the realization that I am not alone; God knows exactly how hard it is and has never….not even for a minute….not even when I was at rock-bottom…..not ever left me or given up on me. You too can draw your strength from Him or your higher power because He has not given upon you either! Nor have I.
 
Likewise, you are not alone in your journey.  You may not share my faith (that’s perfectly fine with me), but nonetheless, YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  I am one of you and I KNOW what it’s like to walk this walk.  I do it ….every single minute…..of every single day! Your journey will have no end; you will always have to walk this walk.  I don’t know what it’s like to struggle with drugs, alcohol, or some other addiction or what it’s like to want a cigarette or drink so bad that my hands shake, but I do know what it’s like to be tempted. I’ve been there….and I am there…..frequently. I  know what it’s like to doubt that it is even possible to change. I’ve been there and sometimes I still struggle as I wonder if I am going to be able to keep this weight off for life. I know what it’s like to live in fear….of failing, of dying, of being alone. I know what it’s like to sit by and watch someone I love suffer…and die…and I know the grief of loss. I know what it’s like to lose a job and struggle with finances. I know what it’s like to be disabled and in physical pain. I know what it’s like to want to give up…..to say, ‘what’s the use”…..to want to sit on the floor and cry because nothing fits anymore and you feel ugly, fat, depressed. I know what it’s like to be stared at, to be pitied, to be insulted.  I share your pain, I share your struggles, I share your temptations……just like you share them with me, and God shares them with us.   I share in your journey and hope to offer support and inspiration to you, but I also draw support and inspiration FROM YOU.  I am as dependent on you as you are on me. You are for me what I am to you!   We are ALL in this…..whatever THIS….. might be for you…..We are ALL in this together!   This means when one fails, we all step up and encourage and support, and when one succeeds, we all rejoice and celebrate!  Isn’t it great???????
So….with that being said…… Does anyone have any good news to report?????   Did anyone lose any weight this week?  Has anyone made it all week without a cigarette or try something new?  Is anyone struggling today?  Talk to me….talk to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment