Monday, October 28, 2013

Celebrate the Little Things

It's going to be a busy week. Our department has hired two new Retention advisors and I'll be busy this week training them and likely won't have a lot of time to post this week. However, I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Monday.  Let this be the week that you really notice how much your efforts are paying off!

Too often when we are on a journey or have a goal that is still a long way away, we often spend so much energy focusing on the end that we forget to celebrate all the great things along the way. This happens on a trip when we pass by unique and wonderful sights along the route because we just want to get to our destination so that THEN we can start enjoying ourselves. Sometimes I hear people lament that their spouse doesn't even like to stop for a bathroom or meal break on a trip. What happens then, is that we miss out on opportunities to see unusual things, enjoy a wonderful bowl of soup at an out-of-the-way diner, or meet interesting people.  We do this during the holidays as well. We get so busy doing all the preparations, cleaning, cooking, shopping for Christmas Eve/Day that we miss out on the wonderful season of Advent, the great holiday specials on TV, the chances to make life-time memories with loved ones, and the beautiful music of the season.

For those of you on a weight loss journey, you may think that you won't truly be happy until you reach goal and you are so focused on hitting that "magic number." I know I was overly concerned about it as well, but I also enjoyed the process of getting there. I enjoyed being able to put on a pair of pants and find that they were too big or making another notch in my belt. I enjoyed getting a positive response or "Atta girl" from someone who hadn't seen me in a while. I enjoyed being able to tie my shoes or cross my legs for the first time in years.  It seemed like everyday there was something that I could do that I couldn't before; those very things that so many people do without thinking.

Yesterday, I had one of those moments. It may seem very insignificant, and compared to fitting through a turnstile or riding a bike, it was, but still, it was awesome, and all it involved was a pair of knee socks!  On Saturday, I purchased a pair of knee socks at a thrift store. They were a name brand, still had the tags on, and were priced just right so I bought them.  I haven't been able to wear knee socks in years; instead I had to wear anklets or footies because  my calves/ankles were too big. I bought the socks without thinking and yesterday, I put them on and to my delight, I pulled them right up without a struggle. They actually went all the way up to my knees....just like they are supposed to!  I let out a squeal and suddenly I felt like I was back in high school at St. Mary Academy putting on my school uniform. I honestly don't think I have had a pair of knee socks on in 20 years!  Gosh, I felt like a silly kid!  Silly, I know, but a "little thing" that is a sign of a "big victory."
God is so good!

So today....and throughout this week, I am going to look for "little things" each day to celebrate.  I'm guessing that if I just open my eyes, I'll find them all around me.  What "little thing" are you going to celebrate today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment