Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Vacation is going so fast.....


Good morning my friends! I can’t believe that it is already Wednesday and yet, it seems like it’s been non-stop activity for the past couple of days. I am going to need a vacation to recover from my vacation!!!!  I’m getting weary, but having a great time, although I have yet to stay awake long enough to see it get dark at night; nor have I made it to a campfire YET!  This former party girl is getting old! J

Yesterday was a busy day because it was my day to cook for the gang. I was up very early and had the ham in the crock pot and the pancakes ready to hit the griddle before 6 a.m. so that I could take a short bike ride before I started flipping them. The blueberry ones were a big hit…and there were a lot of empty plates and smiling faces at the end of breakfast. The smiles might have been because the sun was starting to shine, but hey, I’ll take a smile for whatever reason. 

After breakfast, we did a couple of craft projects. Typically, each of the adult women in the family plan some sort of project or activity that the adults can do as well as the kids. We have a batch of really young ones (under 5) right now so there will be games and fun for them later in the week when the rest of the little ones arrive. I am, however, having a GREAT time playing with the 3 little ones that are here now.  I’ve always been one that loved doing stuff with the kids (hence my 18 years in elementary religious ed) but when my life was really difficult and rocky (2003-2011), I wasn’t physically able  to play with the kids like I wanted. Most of that time was spent sitting in a walker/chair and watching the family have fun.  I missed out on so much with the nieces, nephews, and cousins that are in the 10-18 year old bracket now.  Ironically, the things I am able to do with the littlest ones now are the same things I did…and loved to do….with their parents when they were little!  It’s great to be alive….and able to play and be like a child again!  Use that for motivation if you are in need of some.  What child/ren in your life are you missing out on because of weight, addiction, depression, broken relationships….whatever?  Life is really short and kids grow up really fast.  I encourage you today to do whatever you need to do so that you can make a difference in the lives of the little ones that God has placed in your life…..whether they are YOURS or someone else’s!

I spent a good portion of the afternoon yesterday getting things ready for dinner, but all went well.  I even made homemade chunky applesauce for the first time in my life. I never realized how easy it is to peel and core a bag or two of apples, toss them in a crock pot with a little water, cinnamon, and Splenda and just let them cook. I thought they might be a good side to go with the pork loin that my brother was grilling and I also wanted to make sure there was something that I could eat without guilt, especially since I was also cooking up garlic/onion roasted potatoes and baked beans, and there were a lot of other high-calorie things served. The applesauce turned out great and I’ve already had some warmed up this morning with a carton of vanilla Greek yogurt tossed on top of it. I know it’s been a LONG time since I’ve had a piece of apple pie, but to me, it kind of resembled a pie a-la-mode without the crust.  I thought it was a yummy treat.  

Yesterday afternoon was also a big “out of my comfort zone” experience that I’ve written about many times before, but yesterday I actually confronted my fear and went to the pool that is open to the association members where I live.  And…there were people there that I didn’t know!  For those that missed the previous posts, I’ve been very self-conscious about going to the pool due to the excess skin. I love the sun and the water and I have a 3 ½ foot pool in my private backyard, but I had a terrible fear of going anywhere where I might be seen by strangers.  Ironically, I spent almost every day at the same pool at 300 and 400+ pounds, and wasn’t at all self-conscious, but I have not been there since I started the weight loss journey.  Last year, I made it as far as the parking lot and chickened out and went home to my own pool.  Even though I was very apprehensive and uneasy, I faced my fear and pushed myself out of my comfort zone. I’m not sure I will do it again anytime soon, but at least I can say that I faced my fear. It is progress….even though it’s small.  As I’ve encouraged you all before….CELEBRATE the little victories…no matter how small!  We are ALL a work in progress and little, baby steps are all that’s needed on this journey.

Today I am off to town for a hair appointment and a trip to Menard’s for some supplies for a bird-feeding project that I’ve decided I want to do, as well as some things for my parade float. The week is going by too fast and there is still so much to do.  Cherish the moment….make the best of each situation….and be grateful for all the blessings in life. Sometimes, however, you have to slow down long enough to realize how incredibly blessed you are.

Keep on track….keep working toward your goal….Keep on smiling and trying to be a better person today than you were yesterday!!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment