Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Staying on track on vacation


 Good Morning…. The reunion-vacation is off to a great start so far!  The weather cooperated on Sunday and we had a great time flying kites up at the lake. Ahh….to feel like a kid again!  There is much to tell, but I’m short on time at the moment. Today is my day to cook (along with my brother and his wife) so I will be making pancakes and a spiral ham for breakfast for a small crowd (only about 20 people….the rest of the gang will be up in a day or two so it’s a smaller crowd). I have some sugar-free syrup and I cut up a watermelon (big surprise, eh???) so I will be able to have a small pancake or two (made without oil) with no-calorie spray butter and sugar-free syrup).

So far, I’ve been doing great keeping on track, even though I am surrounded…I mean surrounded….with extremely good-looking food.  My survival technique: bring/prepare side dishes that I can eat guilt-free.  On Sunday,  we had grilled chicken (always a good choice) and I prepared some green beans (minus all the butter, bacon, etc.) and pineapple-cheese casserole, but I used spray butter, Splenda, reduced-fat crackers, fat-free cheese….so it was a good choice for me.  The rest of the family enjoyed a big potato salad, German (served warm) potato salad, and lot of other great looking dishes that I just quickly glanced at. I don’t want to even LOOK at the desserts or other goodies.  I just prepare my own stuff, fill a plate with veggies and other good choices and enjoy the grilled meat.    For those of you that are saying, “IT CAN’T HAPPEN…..I can’t stay on track because I’m on vacation…. I’m camping… I’m this or I’m that……”  I say: “Don’t use any of those excuses. YES, it can be done!  You can enjoy your vacation and other celebrations (including picnics and parties) and still stay on track if you really want to.”  The question is, “Do you really want to?” For some, the answer is a resounding YES, but I realize that for some, moderation is the key.  I have yet to learn MODERATION and I don’t trust myself to have just a little of this and a little of that, so ABSTENIENCE is my only choice right now.  Still… I am enjoying special treats here and there (like ALL the watermelon I can eat this week!!!) and half of a big, juicy steak last night, as well as a couple of pancakes later this morning.    Plus, I am being so active, playing with the kids, riding my bike (not too far due to the recent RA flare), flying kites, playing in the garden….and now… planning my float for the parade on Saturday. (Yes, I’m feeling better and couldn’t just “take a year off to relax” so the rest of the week include throwing a big float together).  

The weather has been great; I’m feeling better; I’m incredibly blessed (but TIRED); Life is good; and God is greatly to be praised!  Hope you are all doing well! 


No comments:

Post a Comment