Friday, September 12, 2014

This and that

Good Morning!  I’ve been sitting here in the wee hours of the morning for well over an hour and I’m trying to process the thoughts whirling through my mind. What an exciting…and yet, humbling experience yesterday….to see myself on the cover of yet another magazine!  I knew that this one, FIRST for WOMEN (October 4, 14 issue) was going to be coming out soon, but was surprised when one of our group members posted the picture yesterday afternoon. Even more surprising was to see myself on the cover….with the likes of Dolly Parton.  I suppose I should be getting used to it by now; I think it’s the 4th magazine article out there, but I still just sit and shake my head as I utter, “Thank you, God!”   People all over the world lose weight. I’m not unique, and yet, God continues to open the door for me to share my miracle with others. What a joy; what a privilege; but what a great responsibility as well!  My sincere prayer is that always….and in all ways…God may be glorified….and others may come to believe that change is possible.

I am heading north this weekend to do a couple of speaking engagements on Sunday. First, I’ll be talking to the congregation of the First Church of the Nazarene in Boyne City, MI. This service begins at 11:00 a.m.  Later in the day, I’ll be visiting a T.O.P.S. Open House to share my story with them. The Open House will be at the same place, beginning at 3 p.m.  Both are open to the public.  Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I travel and speak. It is an honor.

I’ve been a bit scarce on group this week because it seems like I’ve been bombarded with personal challenges all week. I had a car issue to get repaired; a major migraine headache; my companion has been very ill; work has been quite hectic; my Rheumatoid Arthritis has been flaring; weather has been crazy; and a plethora of other worries and concerns have cropped up. You may or not share my faith perspective and that is okay with me, but I personally believe that all of these little annoyances are just the devil’s lame attempt to rattle my cage and trip me up because of the magazine coming out (and another one due out next week some time) and the speaking engagements this weekend, next weekend, and the week after that. The devil isn’t really happy that I’m sharing the great things God has done….and continues to do….in my life!  Too bad for him!!!! 
All of this “stuff” is part of everyday life, but nonetheless, they are annoying and USED to be things that would send me right for a bag of chips or a package of cookies. What a great excuse….STRESS….chaos, illness, issues…. As if I needed an excuse?  Using food/drugs/gambling/shopping (whatever your vice) to comfort or cope with life was a way of life for me….a way that led me to a very dark place. Ironically, even though comfort eating provided a distraction for a while, it only made things worse in the long run, and left me feeling worse. Even now, I still struggle with the emotional or comfort eating temptation….only now… I pick better options…..like WATERMELON….or fruit, or other healthy options.

No matter how hard we try, we are never going to eliminate the stressors in life. Cars ARE going to break down from time to time. Rain and Storms are going to continue to happen. People are always going to annoy or disappoint us…either intentionally or not. Our bodies are going to continue to let us know when we mistreat them or we don’t get enough rest. People in our life will experience troubles or sickness and we won’t be able to “fix it.” We cannot stop LIFE from whirling around us….but we CAN choose the ways in which we cope with those things. We CAN make better choices when we give in to emotional/comfort eating. We CAN keep healthy options on hand or replace our addictive/compulsive behavior by taking a walk, calling a friend, reading a book, writing in a journal or reaching out to others in this group or on Facebook.  There is a better way….a way that will change your life in ways you cannot even begin to comprehend. I hope you make good choices today!


Thank you for being here for me; for allowing me a venue to share my thoughts; for your kind words of support and encouragement; and for being a part of my journey.  You all are in my thoughts and in my heart….and each time I’m privileged to share my story…either in print, on camera, or in a group…. I carry you all with me.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that you continue to believe that MIRACLES happen every day!!!!  Keep on believing that you CAN ….and you WILL….change your life!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment