Friday, January 9, 2015

BE patient....it takes time....



                                   Good morning my friends….. Patience may be one of the hardest things we have to learn in life. My brother and I have discussed this issue on many occasions when referring to today’s fast-pace, “ I want it right now”, mentality. Kids today are used to instant gratification and typically don’t have to wait very long for anything. Things were different when we were kids (in the 60’s and 70’s).  If we wanted to watch cartoons, we had to wait until Saturday morning: There was no Cartoon Network on TV. If we wanted popcorn, we had to ask our mother to pop the old-fashioned kind on the stove: There was no microwave popcorn that is done in 2 minutes. If we wanted a new toy, we typically had to wait until a birthday or Christmas, or at least save our allowance: There was not the ‘I get what I want when I want it” expectation.  We were spoiled, but in a different way I suppose.  Times have changed, mostly due to technology, and it seems like many people….including me…..become impatient when we have to wait for things to happen or to see results.  This is especially true in our personal journey to wellness. We want instant result…and we sometimes get discouraged when we don’t get them.

When I began my weight loss journey, I admit that I lost weight a rapid pace, very likely because I was so heavy and had cut my calorie intact so significantly. The scale showed results each week, but it was many months before anyone even noticed that I had lost weight. Of course, people are often reluctant to even comment (if they don’t know you are trying to lose weight) because they don’t want to be offensive by making a comment to someone who ISN’T on a weight loss plan. I was still wearing the same clothes after losing 50+ pounds because my clothes at that time were big, baggy, and tent-like.  It was sometimes discouraging because I wanted to “SEE” results right away and it was hard to be patient.  Keeping with the plan and consistently making changes on a daily basis…..even when the results weren’t visible….was and is key to my success.


Those of you that recently started a journey….either weight-loss or other fitness regime….might encounter the temptation to give up because you aren’t getting the results you want right away. You might be 9 days into it (if you began on New Year’s) and perhaps you expected to be down 10 pounds or a size by now. Maybe you expected people to notice that you’ve been working out…and they haven’t or that you are already ‘getting smaller” but they don’t….and you are getting discouraged or wondering if it is worth it.  It is…..don’t give up or despair.  Remember this journey is for LIFE….not for a time period.  Try…as hard as it is….to focus on how you feel rather than on how you appear in the mirror.  Doesn’t it feel good to be in control…..to realize that you are strong and can do this….that you are making good choices?  People can’t always see THAT….but you can FEEL IT….and let those feelings empower you.  Try to remember that things take time…..and in time…..you will see God’s power manifested in your life….if you keep focused and keep trying again and again if you falter.  You’ve got this……. Believe it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment