Monday, July 13, 2015

Trying to catch up



Hello….. I’m not exactly sure where the past two weeks have went, but according to the calendar, it is almost the middle of July already. It seems that for several months now I have been trying to keep my head above water and coping with a number of personal and physical issues that have left me weary, but getting by. I do sincerely apologize for my lack of participation in our group, but sometimes life has a way of happening around us and things get crazy.  I seem to be busy from the time I wake up in the wee hours of the day until I fall asleep, but never seem to get caught up. I assure you, however, that I am okay and things are looking up.

When I wrote my last post a couple of weeks ago, I was about to start my big family reunion camping vacation over the 4th of July. I had worked to plan many of the activities and was looking forward to a break from the stressors of work and an opportunity to just have fun with my family members and hopefully work in the flower gardens and float in my pool. I had been struggling with the RA flares for a couple of weeks prior to vacation and that just continued through the first few days of my vacation, but then early in the week, my long-time companion became very sick and ended up in the hospital for emergency surgery. SO….I missed almost all of my vacation and spent several days/nights at the hospital round the clock, and then a few more days when he got home taking care of him. Fortunately, he is doing better and is healing. Unfortunately, it meant that I missed most of my family activities, the 4th of July parade, etc.., but I’d do the same thing again if necessary.  I did manage to spend the first day of the week at Ludington Beach on Lake Michigan with my family and my scavenger hunt on Tuesday went well, so it wasn’t all lost. In addition, I managed to hit a few EXCELLENT garage sales and got a bunch of new stuff to redecorate my house. LOVE IT!!!   As I’ve said many times, we cannot control the things that happen to us…we simply must make the best of things and trust that God has reasons for all that happens. There are few things as rewarding as helping to care for someone in need and I am grateful that I had the time off to assist my friend when he needed me most. 

This past weekend was BEAUTIFUL and I was able to spend some time outside enjoying the gorgeous weather and sunshine. I’ve picked my first few home-grown tomatoes, some green beans and snap peas and have squash, cucumbers, and zucchini staring to grow as well as a WATERMELON FLOWER or two!!!  The flowerbeds are full of colorful blossoms, the goldfish in the pond are thriving, and the pool temperature is 84 degrees, so…..even though my body is wracked with pain and I’ve gained 15 pounds from the increased doses of steroids and inability to ride my bike or walk long distances due to the RA….life is still VERY GOOD and there is much to be grateful for.  Sometimes we just have to look REALLY HARD to find reasons to give thanks.

Sometimes when one embarks on a life-changing journey, he/she tends to think that life will become perfect and life will be great WHEN/IF……we lose weight, give up an addiction, change a bad habit, etc.  Too often we connect joy and peacefulness to a goal…and we forget that life is still going to happen regardless of what size we are; people are still going to get sick no matter how many days we go without smoking or drinking; and things are STILL going to happen that we can’t control or don’t like.  The thing I have to constantly remind myself is that those struggles, trials, and difficulties and SO MUCH EASIER to cope with simply BECAUSE I have changed my life.  The last time I spent several days round the clock in the hospital was when I sat at my Grandma Borawski’s bedside as she went home to God. At that time I was in a mobility walker and could hardly stand up, and yet, my Aunt Vicky and I spent several nights at the hospital. It was a physical struggle, but again, a privilege to be there.  The time I spent caring for my friend this time was so much easier (not to mention not a matter of life/death) because I am able to walk (even with RA pain and pain medicine) and I am able to fit alongside the bed, sit in a regular size chair, and maneuver around the hospital.  I am beyond blessed….and even though I’ve been struggling physically for a few months…. I am so much better off today than I was a few years ago. 

If you are dealing with difficult situations….whatever they may be….you may want to ask yourself if they would be easier to handle if you were in a ‘different’ place physically, mentally, or emotionally. Chances are, making a few life changes will make coping with the changes of life easier…..not take them away or make life perfect….but making dealing with hard times more bearable.

I have a few days off the end of this week and I hope that I get an opportunity to take a little day-trip or spend some time just enjoying the north woods. I did stop to a few garage sales on Saturday morning and WOW….did I hit a good one. I purchased a Howard Miller dual-chime mantel clock for $1.00 that is going for over $300 on ebay, a solid bronze lamp with a leather shade for another buck, and several other treasures for a few more dollars. It sure was great to find such wonderful things and, even though my house is all tore up now with ‘rearranging” and moving things in and out of the garage, it is a wonderful way to distract my cluttered, weary mind.

So……how is everything with everyone else these days?




No comments:

Post a Comment