Friday, May 30, 2014

Stay on track this weekend!


Good morning my friends! It's Friday and I'm very happy about that. I've been tied up for the past couple of days working extended hours at work to prepare for a conference that my own college is co-hosting with Central Michigan University. I'm on the planning committee and left the house at 6 a.m. yesterday morning and didn't get home until after 9 p.m. last night. One more day of it today...and then the weekend!  The weather appears to be perfect for the next few days...lots of sunshine and warmth, so hopefully I'll get the rest of the gardens done, and maybe have time for that bike ride that I put off last weekend.  How's everyone doing?

I've added several new members to the group this week. Welcome! I've also received a few messages from you, but have yet to respond due to the extra hours I've put in at work. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to answer your e-mails this weekend, but in the meantime, WELCOME!!!!!

We are heading into the time of year when we tend to receive a lot of invitations to graduation parties, weddings, picnics, etc. Although these can be an occasion for us to stray a bit from our plan, they don’t have to be an excuse to go off track. PLAN AHEAD and be prepared. Remember, you cannot stop living your life just because you are trying to change it and become healthier and happier, but you cannot use a party or special occasion as an excuse to abandon your journey either. If you give in this time, it will be easier to justify the next time.

Meals and snacks will be provided for the participants of my conference today and just because I’m on the planning committee, it is NOT an excuse for me to indulge in the goodies that will be served today. There will be a big pastry table there right next to the Registration Table where I will be working this morning, but I’ve already psyched myself up to face that, and although the sight and smell of those wonderful sweets, I won’t give in…because I’m prepared for the possible temptation.  I’ve already packed a small container of low calorie, sugar-free vinaigrette salad dressing in my bag in case salad is served for lunch, and I have two pieces of fruit and a fiber bar as well….just in case I need a snack or the served lunch is something that is too high in calories.  It just doesn’t make sense to me to work hard all week just to ‘blow it” today just because my colleagues and other conference participants will be indulging…..but that is my strategy; you need to figure out what works for you.

Too many times we go to a party with the good intention of celebrating and enjoying it, “just for today” and then going right back on track on Monday, but all too often, Monday rolls around and there is another excuse that seems just as good.  My strategy is ….don’t go off track to begin with, but rather be prepared. Bring a piece of fruit or some other snack with you; eat before you go; choose lower-calorie options; add a few more minutes to your workout or walk an extra half mile or so to help balance the increased calories you may consume, but whatever you do, don’t let the occasion be a stumbling block.   After all, is it really worth the 300 or more calories just to eat a piece of wedding cake or try Aunt Martha’s dessert?  For me, I don’t think so and I am not one that could settle for one bite. For me, it’s best not to indulge at all. 

 Just remember…..you’ve likely did the yo-yo dieting for years and it hasn’t worked yet. What makes you think you can eat whatever you want this weekend and go back on track on Monday?  How well has it worked in the past?  My strategy is to go to the party, enjoy the people and the celebration, but not sabotage my own journey in the process. Whatever you decide to do….have fun and enjoy the day!


Be happy today…..rejoice in whatever comes your way…..trust in your ability to succeed….and make wise choices!  Hope you have a peaceful day and a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment